Pastors what to help people, but when does this desire get the way of actually helping people? Lauren Errington from the Family Systems Institute addresses some of the questions we need to ask when it comes to helping people, even well intentioned help:
– Who is actually responsible for what?
– Have we confused empathy with needing to feel all the feelings the other person is feeling?
– Is the best way of helping people to step back and let the person grow themselves?
– Are we curious and thoughtful before we are ready to jump in and help?
– Is the help actually about helping them or dealing with our own anxiety and need to step in and help?
– What does it mean to be in “good contact” with someone?
- Lauren's Workshop at the Reach Australia National Conference 2023
- The Family Systems Institute
- ‘Bowen Family Systems Theory in Christian Ministry: Grappling with theory and its application through a biblical lens’ (Ed. Jenny Brown and Lauren Errington)
- Family Systems and Congregational Life by Robert Creech
- Growing Yourself Up by Jenny Brown
The One Thing is brought to you by Reach Australia.
For ideas or questions please email [email protected]
To support the Reach Australia Online Library head here.